Saturday, July 16, 2011

Yellow Houses with White Picket Fences

Ever since I was a little girl I’ve had a fascination with yellow houses. To me, yellow represents a happy color and it is one of my favorites. I do not have any drawing ability at all, but I remember in my school years I would repeatedly draw a picture of a boxy house with a pointed roof. It always had a chimney with smoke curling from it. In the corner of the picture, there would always be a brilliant sun with sunbeams radiating out. My house drawings always had a white picket fence with daisies growing alongside and a large tree in front. And the house would be yellow.


My first yellow house in SL



I would dream about someday owning a house like that. That vision has always been my ideal and not necessarily achieved in exactly that way in real life.

I was thinking about yellow houses this morning and I realize that I have lived in several yellow houses in Second Life. Those who know me, know that I have lived in a LOT of places in SL New England. I have had a tendency to move around a bit…but as I look back, surprisingly, the predominant color of those houses was yellow.

Jeanne's Folly

In fact, two yellow houses were the reason I ended up in New England in the first place. I was looking for a rental cottage. Doing a search brought me to New England where there were two rentals and both of them yellow. I was immediately drawn to the fantasy-like yellow Cape Cod cottage and rented on the spot. My heart beat a bit faster and I was full of adrenaline as I hit the ‘pay’ button to rent that first cottage. It was just adorable and I could imagine it with a white picket fence.


Morning Glory Cottage

Not long after, that parcel was being sold by the owner, so I had to move on. I decided to purchase my own parcel on Martha’s Vineyard, which I aptly named Jeanne’s Folly (and from where this blog gets its name). I had a house built and yes, it was yellow too. In time, circumstances changed and I moved on and lived in other houses, not all of them yellow. However, the vision of the ideal house has always been a yellow one with a white picket fence.

White picket fence and bicycle

I’m happy to say my current New England house is yellow with black shutters. And guess what is on the side of the house? A garden containing daises surrounded by, you guessed it, a white picket fence. The final perfect finishing touches…a straw hat perched on a fence post and a bicycle with a wicker basket leaning against the fence.  Sounds just about perfect, don’t you think? A yellow house with a white picket fence.


The Brewster House



2 comments:

White Picket Fence said...

Picket fences are one of the most popular types homeowners install. They are made with individual slats that have gaps between the pickets and are a couple of inches apart and prevent the fence from blocking the view while looking the same from either side.

White Picket Fence

Rebecca A. Maynard said...

I hope you enjoyed this little tour of some amazing homes { I wish I could have taken you guys inside}! I think we all need these stunning homes in our lives & the views, right?! A girl can dream..:)
privacy fence estimate