Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Schimmerland, Part One

I’m a little adverse to highlighting my own sim, yet that is what today and tomorrow's post are about. Schimmerland is located on Monhegan Island. This sim was originally located in the SL New England estate, but was pulled away and placed elsewhere on the Second Life grid as a standalone sim…that is, it has no neighboring sims.


One advantage of this is that I was able to create this exactly as I wanted…no restrictions and no theme to follow. I considered my options…what kind of theme would I like on this sim? I knew I didn’t want to make a fantasy theme, but I couldn’t decide on what kind of geographic area I wanted.


So I came up with the brilliant (?) idea to put a bunch of different regions on one sim. I’ve seen that done before and it mostly looks pretty bad. People sometimes use a backdrop or mountain divider and suddenly you are in a different kind of landscape.


I wanted to try to make the transition between the different regions gradual and more natural. I decided I wanted a New England type harbor, a tropical area, a surf area, a pirate area, and a wooded area. So began the challenge of creating all that together.


One of the reasons for my chronicling this sim now, is because I will be giving it up soon. I spent a lot of hard work creating it and I wanted to be able to preserve it somehow.


So, let’s go on a little tour.

An ariel view of the island. Doesn't look like much, does it?
The Rose Cottage. This home has breathtaking interior walls and ceilings.

The horse barn just before heading onto the pathway.

The pathway from the main landing point heading into the tropics.

These pathways lead into the tropical jungle area. It is shady and cool here.

Here is the marsh area with a heron looking for fish.

The dancing deck...with surf spray!

Every beach scene needs a token lighthouse!

A beach to relax and catch some rays.


Hippie Surf Beach! Grab a board and come on!

The tour is taking a bit longer than I expected. Tomorrow we will visit the green side of the island. I hope you will have a chance to come visit Schimmerland soon.



1 comment:

Karson said...

As an occasional visitor to Schimmerland, I can say there are there are many aspects deserving comment, but the most notable to me is the extraordinary smoothness and care with which the numerous diverse areas connected. The transitions are visually appeal and even exciting to experience. Shimmerland is in invitation to share the viewpoint of a very talented artist, stretching 3750 prims as far as Ive seen them go, in SL. Its a wonderful destination, but is also a chance to study some very pleasing art.