Friday, September 23, 2011

Herding SL Cats Out of the Bag

In Second Life, just as in real life, there is a special world of pets. A virtual pet can entertain and be a companion, just as a real pet can in real life. When you go looking for a pet in SL, you will discover that there is a wide variety to choose from.

I am a cat person. I have always owned a cat since I was a young girl. So it seems logical to me that I would want a cat companion in Second Life too. I have discovered that some are beautiful to look at, but move stiffly. Some have funny antics, just like real life cats. Some sound so real…you start to look around the computer to see if there is a cat ready to pounce on you. Some have annoying meows that you can’t wait to turn off. Then there are mysterious cats too, just as there are in real life.

It has been said that cats aren’t owned, rather, they have staff! I would like to introduce you to some of the felines that I have served in Second Life.
 
Muffin and Red are the dynamic duo! They are currently staying with my friend, Laird, and they keep him constantly entertained. Those two cats are always together. They follow each other all around. They are playful and powerful. They can easily push any avatar around to other locations…so beware!

Spot had a short life. He didn’t seem to take well to living on a homestead sim and he easily became disjointed. He was a beautiful cat, but lives mostly in my memory now.

While exploring a Japanese sim, I kept seeing a mysterious black cat everywhere. I finally was able to coax her to come home with me. Mystery cat can be found in many places. She is often seen guarding my store Lavender Cottage. She also loves to spend time bird watching. The unusual thing about Mystery cat is that no matter what angle you look at her…she is looking back. Her eyes follow your every move. Some might find this un-nerving, but I find it endearing. I know she is always looking out for me.

Karson gave me a cat that I just can’t get out of the garbage can. His name is Felix. You would think I never feed Felix, he is ALWAYS digging in the garbage looking for left-overs. He really loves fish. I often see him peering out from under the trash can lid, as though he is ashamed to admit that he loves to spend time there.




Karson gave me another cat too. Her name is Holly and she has stolen my heart. She is very sweet. She has a lot of energy and if she isn’t sleeping on the kitchen floor (which she does often), she is zooming all around the house. She is very obedient, though, and does come when I call her. She even enjoys taking a bubble bath…the first cat I have ever known to enjoy that.

And so, even in a virtual world, a cat's a cat and that's that.

No comments: