Saturday, September 3, 2011

Premium Gifts and Other Things Linden

Kiosk SLURL:   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sandbox%20Admiranda/73/24/53
This week, Linden Labs announced some perks for premium members…furniture designed by Colleen Desmoulins of The Loft and an exclusive sandbox for premium members only. My first reaction was…how nice of them! Especially since one of my favorite stores is The Loft and I really love the creations of Colleen Desmoulins. I thought to myself…wow, she is really getting some free advertising here and I wonder if she will see an increase in sales as a result.

What didn’t really occur to me until a little later was that this whole concept is perhaps very unfair to those who create content in Second Life and then try to sell their creations. It seems unfair to be giving away quality things to all those thousands of Linden Home owners who might otherwise be purchasing them and helping the SL economy. And also unfair to the other quality builders who were not chosen by Linden Labs and will not reap the benefit of increased store traffic as The Loft probably will.

Nevertheless, I do confess that I did go get my free gift. The sofa, tables, lamps and other goodies that were given away are very nice. Most have menus to allow you to change the textures so as to better match your SL décor. Here is a picture of the sofa: I think I might end up using it in my Linden Home. Yes, I have one…I used it very occasionally as a hideaway, but it is very laggy and I cannot spend much time there.

Free furniture gift, 8 prims, made by Colleen Desmoulins of The Loft

The kiosk for the free furniture is located on the premium sandbox. When I was there, it was nearly empty. One other person was there rezzing a building. The sandbox appeared to be four sims together, so it was quite a large area.



As I explored and looked off into the distance, I became distracted by something I saw off in the Linden water. So I went to investigate and found a curious wooden rack-like thing in the water with some kind of net traps suspended from it. I’m not sure the purpose.





Nearby was a sunken, rusty submarine and strange mines attached to chains and floating in the water.




Sharks were swimming around protecting the whole area from interlopers, but I managed to befriend one of them and hitched a ride around the area.

 
Underwater Sunken Sub and Shark


Underwater area in protected land next to sandbox

I confess that I enjoy exploring Linden lands and water. They often have some interesting, unusual and fun things lurking around. I’m sure I will enjoy my new Linden premium gifts too. 



No comments: