Thursday, July 21, 2011

Friends

I’ve been pondering friendship today. I was contacted last night by the first friend I made when I came to SL in March 2008. Her name is Lily and although we seem to go through seasons of being in constant touch and then seasons when we don’t contact each other…I still consider her one of my dearest friends. It was good to spend an evening with her and get caught up on what’s been going on.

This made me think about the poem about friends for a reason, season, or lifetime. I’m sure you’ve heard the poem. I’m not going to try to copy it here, because when doing some research on it, I discovered so many have claimed to be the original writer of it. I wouldn’t have a clue who to give credit to, so its best to just not use it.

I have many friends in SL. Some I have known for quite a long time like Lily. And some are new friends, but I can tell they will be lasting ones. There are others who were friends for a specific reason and then I lost contact with them. Others are friends for a season, and happily, some of the seasons are long.

Once one of my friends sent me a random IM ‘hug’. That’s what he called it. And when I tried to return it, he didn’t answer. Why? Because it was meant to be like a random act of kindness…the kind where you don’t expect to be acknowledged.

I’m thinking it is time to spread some friendship around….like contacting long lost friends like Lily, or sending out some random acts of hugs to some of my SL friends. Just think what a better world it would be if we all did that.

No comments: