Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Ghost Ferry

In his never ending quest to turn me into a sailor, Karson told me about a sweet little freebie sailboat that he acquired the other day. It is called a Flying Fizz. I already have one in my (vast) inventory, but mine has been unused for probably three years and it is not the latest, greatest version. Yesterday I decided to go get my own copy of the Flying Fizz so I used the LM I had and ended up at a yacht club on the Hollywood sim. There was much to see and I became engrossed in checking it all out.
The Blake Sea Ferry aka the Ghost Ferry!
Suddenly, there came an announcement in local chat that the Blake Sea Ferry was about to take off and was heading towards Barbarossa. I made a quick decision to go along for the ride. I went to catch the ferry, only to discover that it was pulling away from the dock.  I ran after it, shouting “Wait! Wait for me! Wait!!”  No one heard me and it kept going.
Skipper Jeanne at the helm of the Ghost Ferry
Desperate to not be left behind, I took a flying leap and landed right on the boat! I was proud of myself, until I discovered that not only had I landed on the ferry, but I was also now the skipper! Let me tell you, this ferry is a big boat and I’m not an experienced skipper, so I was a little daunted. But I thought, well, if they have enough confidence to have me be skipper, then ok, I’ll go for it.
I looked around and it dawned on me that I was the only one on board. I also realized that I wasn’t really steering this boat. It was being controlled by ghosts. How do I know it was ghosts? I saw the sea spray from the bow. When the boat would dip down and the water slapped against the front of the boat, the spray was little ghost images. I’m quite sure these were mirroring the ghosts aboard the ferry.

A near miss with a sailboat!!
 I think they were friendly ghosts, so I decided to stay and see what would happen. The boat went along merrily and moved slowly through sim after sim. We drove through a sailboat regatta…I closed my eyes hoping we wouldn’t hit one. Well, I confess, I did take a peak and we seemed to somehow maneuver through the sailboats without incident. I drew a sigh of relief.

I started to relax and enjoy the sights. We went past Crow’s Nest in the Blake Sea. It is a huge lighthouse and I think has a bit of history. We passed Spyglass and I thought that looked interesting too. I was hoping I might get a chance for a better look, but the ferry kept on moving forward.
The Crow's Nest Lighthouse
I learned something on this trip. I think the Blake Sea has its own Bermuda Triangle. Why do I think that? Because as the ferry crossed over into the Sitace sim, I was suddenly and unceremoniously dumped out into unknown waters. The ghosts kept my eyes on the ferry…I was unable to look away. But my avatar body was nowhere to be seen…probably in some black sea hole somewhere. Try as I might, the ghosts had control of me. The only thing left to do was relog.

When I came back from relogging, I chased after the ferry. I could see it had reached its destination at Barbarossa and was docked there. I saw several people on the island. I shouted out to them “Don’t board that ferry…it is haunted!” I think they heard me and no one boarded the ghost ferry as it pulled away from the dock and headed off for its next destination and unsuspecting passengers.

No comments: