Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Weather Outside is Frightful

I guess that title brings to mind cold snowy blizzard days. But I think it applies just as equally to the hot summer weather being felt over more than ½ of the United States. Where I live, it is over 100 for the 2nd day in a row. And that is unusual and extremely hot for this part of the country.


When it is so hot (or even when it is cold during winter), I love going into SL where the weather is usually predictable…PERFECT! You can have beautiful, bright, sunshine days any time of the year, any day of the week, any time of the day. You can don a bikini…and go surfing, or boating, or horseback riding, or do any number of things...weather not being an issue.


I get so immersed when I go into SL that is it easy to forget what the real life weather is like beyond the monitor. I remember during real life winter months, SLNE had snow on the ground and on the trees. It was a beautiful winter wonderland. I actually felt the chill in the SL air when I was there in the SL snow, despite the fact that I was snug and warm in my home. I guess the suggestion of SL weather conditions can actually affect me psychologically so that I am truly experiencing what I see on my screen. For instance, I could never go without shoes in SL snow...my real feet would be too cold! I would have to leave SLNE and go in search of some sunny, green place in SL in order to warm up.


A perfect weather place in Second Life.


I’ve been told that there is a new environment setting eventually coming to SL. According to the Second Life wiki “Region environment settings provide region managers the ability to customize the environment settings for their region. Residents who enter the region automatically see those settings unless those they have chosen personal overrides. So, for example, a gothic castle might have a dark and gloomy environment or a tropical island might be always bright and sunny.”

I wonder if that means that the weather inside SL could also be frightful and not under my ability to control. If that day ever comes, you can bet I’ll be looking for another Eden with perfect weather all the time.

No comments: